Sunday, October 9, 2011

Turning 28

Was it yesterday that I beamed at my ecstatic pals that I turned 18? I remember standing in one of the corridors of Seshadripuram College huddled with my friends, celebrating a milestone that added an extra zing to the already raging estrogens. I was 18. Yes. 18. Always wanted to be since I was a five year old. According to the rule book I had attained majority, I could exercise my right to vote, and I could walk into the RTO and demand for a driver’s license for my bike. Fringe benefits apart I was a major who could be entrusted with responsibilities, my parents could find a suitable match and dispose me off and I could have inherited a fortune had anyone left me a handsome will.

I was a free spirit, threw caution to the wind, dint bother knowing how ‘responsibility’ was spelt and dint care about the days ahead. I was living in the minute and I liked it that way. I never felt 18 years OLD. I was growing younger in thoughts, words and ideas. A trait, according to my mom, that would sober down through the years to come. And then, I was 20. Then 21, 22……


Saw the world change. Girls my age blossomed into young women. Some got hitched early. Some, a little late. Many of them are mothers and some have two children. A prominent change that I noticed in most of them was that they had realised a dream that most 18 year olds would dream of. To be a successful adult eliminating every trace of the teenager they once were. When they speak business, they mean business and they’re damn serious about it. They can no more tolerate loose talks, girly gossips and the latest tech news. They would even show inhibitions to express their feelings about Daniel Radcliffe. He’s younger than them you see. It’s a taboo.
So this is where I don’t fit in. Unlike them, I am not an evolved specie and highly unpopular in their circle. But sorry to offend you ladies take a minute and see how lovely my life still is.


I am 28 and ………

I can openly talk about the hotness of Daniel Radcliffe’s nude backside. It’s hot. He is hot too. And is he young? Who cares? Now YOU say this in front of your husband.

I am not married. And not going to be for another two years. I don’t intend to say that all married women turn out to be evolved species like you. Just that some of you have a pre conceived notion that married women are supposed to be the ‘screw your brow for every tomfoolery’ types. I know ten girls from my school and college who’ve remained 18 even after tying the knot.

I am still experimenting. An interesting career opportunity always gets me excited and if I get bored, I find another one. And if you are muttering about my sabbaticals then let me give you a reality check. I pay for my parlour, landline and mobile telephone, my clothes, make up and also shoulder a few other responsibilities at home using the money that I wisely saved for winter.

I still gossip like a teenager. And it does not include topics such as X’s jewellery, Y’s sarees, Z’s husband’s car and certainly not about Saif Ali Khan and Kareena Kapoor.

I am loud. I haven’t sobered down one bit. I may have some feminine qualities but that’s that.

I am still 18. Honestly, I have never felt anything less or more than that. But just because I don’t manifest the maturity a 28 year old has doesn’t mean I am not sensible to sniff responsibilities. I know them better than you.

Just that, when I was 18, my heart had a conviction that kept every inhibition at bay and I simply chose to follow the same.

Hence I am still 18 and will be till I die :)

8 comments:

  1. Brilliant, absolutely love it. Gr8 going girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. remember the bryan adams song - 18 till I die :p

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Raksha :)
    :) Thanks Sunil
    :) he he he Rohit. Yes

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rashmi very nicely written..loved it:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish everyone who reads this comes out of their shell and changes their stereotype. The age is not in the number but being young at heart is what matters.

    ReplyDelete